Diarrhea is the most commonly observed stomach disorders. The people with the weak digestive system are found to be more prone to diarrhea. Many people suffer with the diarrhea twice or thrice in a year. Loose and watery stool is what diarrhea is characterized by. A person suffering with diarrhea passes stool more than 3 times in a day.
There are 2 types of diarrhea, acute and prolonged. The acute diarrhea stays for about 1 to 2 days and prolonged diarrhea stays for about 4 days. The prolonged diarrhea is serious problem and cause dehydration so, please consult the doctor immediately if you are suffering with diarrhea for more than 4 days.
Most common causes of diarrhea are:
• Viral infections: Viral infections can result into prolonged diarrhea if you don’t cure it at preliminary stage. The viruses like cytomegalovirus, viral hepatitis, herpes simplex virus, Norwalk virus, rotavirus, and adenovirus cause diarrhea.
• Bacterial infections: Bacterial infections are the most common cause of diarrhea. Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, and Escherichia coli (E. coli) are the bacteria that enter the human body and disturb the normal digestion process, which results in the frequent watery stools. In serious causes stool may contain the stool may contain mucus, pus, or blood so please consult the doctor immediately in such case.
• Side effect of medicines: Diarrhea is sometimes caused as the side effect of medicines. Antacids containing magnesium, blood pressure medications, antibiotics, and cancer drugs are the medicines that causes diarrhea.
• Food intolerance: The human body reacts to every food item entering the body in a different, some foods it is able to tolerate and to some it is not able to tolerate. In cases of food intolerance, the human body throws out of the intolerable food items. Food components such as artificial sweeteners and lactose are the food items that body finds difficult to digest and thus throw them out, which results in diarrhea.
• Intestine diseases: Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are the disease that disturbs the working of the digestive system and result in the diarrhea.
• Hyperthyroidism and Diabetes: These two health complications are being closely linked to the occurrence of the diarrhea. The person suffering with thediabetes or hyperthyroidism faces the problem of diarrhea more often than the normal person.
• Parasites infections: The acute diarrhea is noted to be caused by the parasites. Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba histolytica, and Giardia lamblia are the parasites that cause diarrhea. Parasites enter the human body through the modes of water or food and then multiply in the human body that disturbs the digestive system, which causes diarrhea.
• Malabsorption: It is the case in which human body is not able to adequately absorb the certain nutrients from the diet. For example: Some people are not able to accept the protein in adequate form. The face the diarrhea problem in such case.
• Too much intake of alcohol: Alcohol intake is culprit that weakens the digestive system day-by-day. It causes the prolonged diarrhea. The diarrhea caused by excessive intake of alcohol is very difficult to cure.
• Excessive workout: Indulging in the excessive workout regime puts the adverse impacts on your digestive system. It weakens the digestive system. This happens mostly with the people who do too much exercise on daily basis.